Hello folks, hope you all are doing well. We know that pre-pregnancy care is must but what we fail to realize is the importance of taking post-pregnancy care. So, today we will discuss about the most important side effect of pregnancy that is postpartum depression. There are many misconceptions about the same but we need to be clear about it first. This is common kind of depression which mostly every mother undergoes. Sources state that one in eight mothers are victim of postpartum depression to a severe level. So now the basic question,
What is postpartum depression?
Postpartum depression is a kind of depression that mostly all new mother undergoes. This is a kind of depression that each mother faces after child birth. This depression can be at different levels in different individuals. Those who face postpartum depression at greater extent are at greater risk of depression in their life at later stages. And we all know the negative effects of depression.
Causes of postpartum depression
There are no specific causes for postpartum depression. There can be one or more reasons for this. Some of the basic causes are: responsibility of the child, tough managing with the kid and managing household chores, insecurity, distance between you and your husband after the childbirth, inability to love the newborn instantly, increased weight, uneven figure and many other such reasons.
- Mood Swings: anger, anxiety, general discontent, guilt, hopelessness, loneliness, loss of interest, loss of interest or pleasure in activities, mood swings, panic attack, or sadness
- Sleep: insomnia, nightmares, or sleep deprivation
- Health Issues: fatigue, loss of appetite, or restlessness
- Behavioral: crying, irritability, or social isolation
- Cognitive: lack of concentration, thought disorder, or unwanted thoughts
- Psychological: depression, fear, or repeatedly going over thoughts
- Weight: weight gain or weight loss
If you face postpartum depression to a greater extent then you need medicated drugs like antidepressants and others after consultation with the doctor. If you face this at lower levels, it can be solved easily at home. But with the basic condition that you should be ready to face it and solve it. At home, this can be solved with love and care. You can relieve the new mommy from the responsibility of child for some time so that she can have her me time. You can take her out for some refreshment and in this way this can be solved.
So, this is all about the postpartum depression.